Metropolitan Opera on 4 AM's

I was flipping around some of the pre-sets on my car
radio today (12/16...Beethoven's Birthday BTW)
and brought in WMVU-AM 900 in Nash-wah (that's the
way the guy who does the station promos says it.)
Well, much to my surprise, the station was broadcasting
the Saturday matinee broadcast of the Metropolitan
Opera, which is no longer available on a full-power FM
because Boston doesn't have a full-time classical FM
station any more.  I couldn't believe a small AM
would be deliberately taking The Met and I believe WMVU
is unattended.  So I surmised that they were supposed
to be taking TalkAmerica off the satellite, but the
computer pulled the wrong switch.  So I checked the
Metropolitan Opera's website, www.metopera.org, and
found that ALL the stations that are part of that
chain are on The Met's list of network stations,
including WPEP-AM 1570, Taunton; WNSH-AM 1570 South
Hamilton; and WNRI-AM 1380 Woonsocket, RI (where I'm
sure the French-language operas will be much appreciated).  The Met does pay a nominal sum for the
carriage, so I bet they're carrying it for the revenue.

Laurence Glavin
Methuen, MA

Get free personalized email at http://email.lycos.com