Re: Entercom demands shutdown of Howie fan site

The guy who has the howiecarr.com/ howiecarr.net
domain names lives in Salem and emailed me once.
He said he was willing to "give" the domain names
to Howie for nothing. Apparently they're treating
him like he's committed a high crime... OK, so it's
"squatting" but the guy seemed like he wanted to do a
fan site since none was apparently out there (it
started before WRKO's current page went up).

I'm sure Entercom doesn't want people to use the name
Howie Carr, his images, or other things related to his
show without their permission....For the record, on
Howie's show they now are advertising "howiecarr.org"
as a way to get to his official WRKO page. Am sure
they will soon change that to "howiecarr.com".

Not the first time a network or station has demanded
a fan site be shut down. Many dedicated fans of
Fox shows like "the Simpsons" and "The X-Files" put
up well-done fan sites only to be threatened with
legal action, etc. If the sites clearly say
"unofficial", what is the harm?

--- Richard Chonak <rac@gabriel.cambridge.ma.us>