WMEX NOT going all business--YET

It's 6:30 PM on Friday 12/1 and Upton Bell has just
concluded his show. I was listening via the Web, of
course, so I don't know whether the _station_ signed off
when it legally should have--15 minutes earlier. The
program ended at 6:30 with the full signoff/ownership
statement that WMEX uses at the end of its broadcast
day. In December, the broadcast day should not extend
beyond 6:15 PM.

_However_ contrary to the statement that Marjorie
Clapprood apparently made during her program today, WMEX
is NOT going all business--at least, not yet. Bell ended
his show by saying that Marjorie had resigned and that
he (Bell) would be taking over her 10:00 AM to noon
slot. I suspect that Gene Burns' contract has a few more
months to run (my guess is until early February, a year
after WMEX boosted its power and signed on with its
news/talk format). I doubt that Langer wants to pay
Burns for not appearing on the air, so the news/talk is
likely to continue in some form as long as Burns must be
paid. Moreover, Langer may also feel that, by the end of
January, he has a chance of concluding a deal with a
buyer and having the station under LMA with the buyer
pending FCC approval.

Since November 1, when local sunset moved back to 4:30,
the entirety of Bell's program has been inaudible over
the air, except in the immediate vicinity of WMEX's
transmitter on Mt Wayte Ave in Framingham. So Bell's
program has been, for all practical purposes, an
Internet-only show. Now the program will again be
audible over the air to a wide audience. I assume that
WMEX will fill out the part of its broadcast day after
the 5:00 PM end of Burns' program with recorded best-of
shows. Even the huckters who broker time on weekends to
sell vitamins and herbal nostrums seem unwilling to buy
time during the period when the station can really be
heard only via the Internet.