Re: WSMN 1590 Nashua NH caves in

I don't think O'Brien has any chance of making money
with a business-talk format in Nashua. Ever heard his
show on WBNW? He sure isn't a radio pro, although he
does seem to have a following among the day traders. And
maybe he got out of the stock market while the getting
was good, so maybe he can run the radio station as a
hobby and lose a bundle on it without being too
concerned.

I'd think, though, that the most natural buyer for WSMN
has to be Blount, who owns WVNE and the 1590 station in
Rhode Island (WARV, I think). As far as I know, the only
Christian station in southern NH is 1320 in Derry, which
Blount also owns. I don't think 1320 puts much of a
signal into Nashua--Manchester, yes; Nashua no.

If WSMN were to lose its TX site, the biggest problems
with trying to operate ND from the WMVU site would come
from WUNR and WARV. With their current patterns, I
suspect that both of those stations would severely limit
the daytime power that WSMN could get unless it could
find another site for a directional operation south or
southwest of Nashua. Finding a suitable site sounds
difficult; land in that area cannot be cheap right now.

But if WSMN and WARV were commonly owned, and WSMN lost
its TX site, maybe some adjustments could be made to
WARV's operation that would permit WSMN to operate ND
with enough daytime power to be economically viable
running a Christian format.