Re: Conelrad question

Your idea would have totally defeated the purpose of
Conelrad, which came about after it was reported that
the Japanese planes that attacked Pearl Harbor had used
commercial AM broadcast signals to home in on Honolulu.

AM stations in a market were divided into two groups by
frequency. Those above the middle of the band were
assigned to 1240 and those at the low end were assigned
to 640. All were supposed to transmit nondirectionally
and, I believe, none was allowed to use more than 5 kW.

The signal to each of the transmitting antennas was
keyed on and off for a few seconds at a time in a quasi-
random pattern by a signal sent (via land lines, I
believe) from Civil Defense headquarters. The idea was
that because the time-division-multiplexed transmitters
were geographically dispersed (in Boston, for example,
640 originated from Medford (590), Burlington (680),
Cambridge (740), Saugus (850--moved to Needham in 1948),
and Saugus (950--after 850 moved to Needham), the radio
direction finders would be confused. Allegedly the
needle on the radio "compass" was supposed to spin
uselessly.

The idea had a lot of holes in it. While I was in
college, I heard one test in the Albany NY area. Four
stations alternated on 640--590, 810, 850, and 980. (850
has been dark since the early '50s.) On 1240 there were
four others: 1240, 1400, 1460, and 1540. The number of
stations on both channels was inadequate and there was
no signal at all in some time intervals. The result was
that the signal was barely listenable and if important
civil defense info had been broadcast, a lot of people
would not have been able to make it out.

Moreover, in many smaller markets, there would not have
been enough stations to populate the two frequencies.
And the use of insecure land-lines to send both the
program and the keying signals seems laughable in the
context of a national emergency. After all, in those
days people were building fallout shelters deep
underground. Many people would probably have suffocated
if they ever had to use those shelters, but they knew
that the telephone lines above ground would not
withstand a nuclear attack.

Also, I have my doubts about the ability of the system
to prevent the use of radio signals for navigation.