RE: Magic 850 WYLF dunks WEEI

For more than five years, the daytimers on 850 in the
East have been allowed a late signoff (two hours past
local sunset) because the Class A station on 850, KOA,
is in Denver. Denver sunset is more than two hours after
sunset on the east coast (and is probably more than two
hours after sunset in Penn Yan). Even WAIT, the daytimer
in Crystal Lake IL, a Chicago suburb, gets to stay on
with substantial power until Denver sunset. Most east-
coast 850 daytimers with extended daytime hours probably
aren't supposed to use full day power after local
sunset, however. WREF, for example, is licensed for 2.5-
kW D, I believe, and should be running no more than 500W
(and maybe less) for the two hours after local sunset.

As far as I know, Class B full-time stations, such as
WEEI (and the many others on 850 in the East) receive no
protection from interference from the daytimers
operating extended hours. Many daytimers on Class A
channels (at least the ones on 850 in the east) are
entitled to full-time operation as Class Ds, because
they are well outside of the protected 0.5 mV/m 50%-
skywave contour of the co-channel Class A. But if they
receive full-time authority, they must begin protecting
the co-channel Class A and Class B stations such as WEEI
at local sunset. In many cases, the daytimers find the
higher power they can get for the two hours after local
sunset to be preferable to full-time authority, so they
remain daytimers.

The more political pressure that's exerted on the FCC,
the more the FCC turns its back on the laws of nature.