Re: WHDH faces big debate: Bush-Gore or baseball?

In a message dated 9/23/00 12:20:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bobonradio@yahoo.com writes:

<< Well, obviously in the grand scheme of things,
 the debate and election does matter more. >>

I respectfully disagree.  I'm a committed Republican, but I'd take a Gore
presidency if we could get a Red Sox World Series win in exchange.  Also, the
media hypes debates but in most elections they have little impact on the
outcome of the election.

I would agree that you should displace the game for breaking news, but these
debates are pre-planned debates and anyone who is interested will be able to
find them on many other stations.  If WHDH pre-empts the game, many people
will not see it.

In Maine, my guess is that WCSH/WLBZ will pre-empt the game.  They used to
dump sports on the weekends in favor of their Noon News, though that has
changed since the stations have been sold.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine