Re: 95.5 WCLZ dropping music?

Dan Billings wrote:
<<If I'm right, this is the second time in two weeks that a Portland area
radio station has tried to fool listeners with such a stunt.  In this case,
the station clearly fooled people, including our own Chuck Igo.>>

Dan,

    if it's a stunt, then good for them.  they're the little engine that
"should".  they play music that i, a 42 year old male, enjoy hearing.
unfortunately, since i am considered a broadcaster before i'm considered a
listener, my opinion doesn't count.
    i find it unusual that, for a stunt, they'd include the call letters and
frequency of even a sister station.  (specifically using AM1440 WJAB).  it's
one thing to say we'll be changing format to all sports.  but to include the
specific calls and frequency, as well as the professional sports team
broadcasts (red sox, bruins, etc) a week before the book only serves to
confuse the average listener.  (see previous posts about censoring call
letters).
     personally, i would agree with Dan that if there were to be a format
switch, the 95.9 / 95.5 simul of WRED's top 40 format would make more sense,
giving the little Saco flamethrower a doubled coverage area, not unlike the
WCYY/WCYI 94.3/93.9 combo that covers
Biddeford/Saco/Portland/Lewiston/Auburn/Brunswick/....
   again, Dan... a stunt is just that.  it's designed to get the tongues
going.  with all of the radio changes of the past few years in Portland,
people are truly missing signals they might have not "patronized" as
diligently as they should have.  (i still have people ask me why 98.9 dumped
the smooth jazz "Breeze" format, as an example.  and no, "people" does not
mean Brian... <g>)

- -Chuck Igo