Re: a Providence TV question

Back in June Donna Halper wrote:

> I just got a hold of some New England TV Guides from the early 50s-- great
> stuff-- and it seems that WJAR-TV was channel 11 through 1952.  I don't
> have many 1953s, but by 1954 they are channel 10.  SO would 1953 be the
> date when things changed?

Ensuing contributions from list participants suggested numerous dates
for the changeover but I don't recall a definitive date was ever
established.  One writer suggested May 1953 and I found that to be so
yesterday when I needed a break from some frustrating research in the
microtext room of the Boston Public Library.

Taking a few minutes to check some 1953 papers, I found the Providence
Sunday Journal of May 3 listed WJAR-TV on channel 11 with signon at
10:10 a.m. and signoff following the daily prayer at 12:20 a.m.  An item
on page 25 said the switch to channel 10 was expected some time that
day.  It had been slated for May 1, "but wet and windy weather delayed
work on the new antenna."

The Providence Journal for Monday, May 4, 1953, had the following item
on page 1:

"A stepup in picture and sound power accompanying WJAR-TV's shift to
Channel 10 yesterday was widely acclaimed by television viewers
throughout the station's coverage area.  The shift, which was postponed
from last week because of high winds whipping through the new 713-foot
transmitting antenna in Rehoboth, was accomplished at about noon.
Station officials were jubilant as calls from viewers poured in
congratulations on the new clarity of both picture and sound.  Revised
estimates of the station's new strength are 225,000 watts in picture
power and 113,000 watts in sound power--an increase of about six times
its former televising strength.  A station spokesman said the power
increase 'very definitely' places the Rhode Island station in the Boston
television market.  He said the signal was strong in Worcester, Fall
River, New Bedford, Taunton, Brockton, Boston and points on Cape
Cod....Coincidental with the power increase and channel switch, WJAR-TV
announced extended broadcasting hours.  Mondays through Fridays the
station will operate from 7 a.m. to 2 a.m. the next day.  Saturdays and
Sundays the station will observe its present sign-off time between 1
a.m. and 1:30 a.m."