Re: the language watch continues

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000 21:24:17 EDT Dib9@aol.com writes:
> Valid point, but that is not how the story was played in most media
> reports.
> Bradley and McCain certainly handled the situation better, but they
> also had
> the advance warning of seeing Bush get caught.
>
> I don't like Hiller's approach on this.  Reporters should report
> news, not
> try to make it.
>
> -- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine

Agreed, reporters should report news and not make it, however this was an
interview in which it is the reporters responsibility to draw out as much
information about a candidate as possible in a short period of time so
throwing out questions like that are fair game given the fact that up
until that point no one had asked what kind of knowledge GWB had about
foreign affairs,  we all know his dad was very well versed, but dad isn't
running.

As for McCain and Bradley being forewarned, sure they knew the questions
could come at any point, but this is not the first time Andy Hiller has
thrown out questions like this and I think GWB and his handlers (who, if
he is elected will become his top advisors in the White House) failed to
prepare him properly, and if he gets that upset over questions by
reporters what is he going to do under real pressure?  That is the more
telling aspect of the story and the one that I came away with.

df