Re: Radio on Radio

Wossname is XM Satellite Radio. Sirius was, until the
first of this year, CD Radio. One will use two birds;
the other three. I forget which will use how many. The
satellites are not in the traditional geosynchronous
orbits, which would place them near the equator. The
satellites will appear more or less overhead in the 48
contiguous states. Nevertheless, I'm told that, to an
earthbound observer, they will not appear to move around
very much. In major metropolitan areas, the satellite
signals will be augmented by networks of terrestrial
transmitters because the satellite signals will
not "reach down" between canyons of tall buildings.

Each company is planning 100 channels, of which 50 will
carry commercial-free music formats. The programs on the
other 50 channels on each system _will_ include
commercials.

Several radio conglomerates are backing one or the other
of the satellite companies. I've heard that AMFM has a
large stake in one company--I think XM. Since the report
you heard was on WBZ, I assume that Wes..., err CB...,
err Inf..., err Viacom has a stake in the company
mentioned in the report you heard. Except on NPR, you
must assume that when there is anything alleged to be
news on radio stations owned by group broadcasters, it
consists of little besides short-form infomercials, and,
of course, _real_ commercials.