Re: Boston's "Original" Oldies Station?

>At 02:01 PM 9/1/00 +0000, dan.strassberg@att.net wrote:
>>In other words, what you seem to be saying is that the
>>slogan is "Boston's original-oldies station,"
>>not "Boston's orignal oldies station." I'll tell ya,
>>it's really hard to hear those hyphens on the air. If
>>you're right, though, the slogan _should_ be "Boston's
>>station for original oldies." That would be less
>>ambiguous, but it would raise the question of what an
>>original oldie is.

Hey, it's just a positioning statement--pure hype by definition.  Kiss 108
uses "Today's Hit Music", yet I've heard songs 10 years old.  Is 1990 today?

This is not a new phenomenon:  going back to an era many of us on this list
can relate to...look at the original WMEX...much fun has been made of their
"all new, ever newer", etc.  Yet it was the same ol' same ol'.  I also
remember hearing a good half dozen stations all referring to themselves as
"one of America's 2 great radio stations" in the mid-late 60s.  Someone
must have flunked math.

No one off this list remembers 1150/WMEX and the "Golden Great 98's"
automated oldies format went away over 20 years ago.  WODS has been oldies
for going on 15 years (1986?), in most peoples mind that's
forever...certainly holding the "heritage" honors.