Re: Online network tunes world in to local radio

<<On Mon, 28 Aug 2000 14:43:32 -0500, mwaters@mail.wesleyan.edu (Martin J. Waters) said:

>         - And the article says that WVMT is the oldest station in Vermont.
> I had thought it was WSYB, Rutland, 1930. My ancient 1976 Broadcasting
> yearbook says WVMT, listing the start date as 1922. The chronology at Jeff
> Miller's website lists the license as 1922, with original calls WCAX. But a
> website called www.mainstreetvermont.com/wsyb calls WSYB "Vermont's oldest
> continually operated radio station." What's with this, does anyone know?

WCAX did later morph into WVMT, but not on the same channel.  WCAX was
on 1230 (modulo NARBA) before moving to 620, and was originally owned
by the State Agricultural College (CAX stands for College of
Agriculture).  After WCAX-TV was founded, the radio license was sold
to another broadcaster, who moved it from 1230 to 620, and the 1230
facility was sold to a new licensee on 1230.  Hence, WJOY is located
next door to WCAX's studios.

I believe all of the FMs in town, except WOKO (ex-WJOY-FM), were
started as stand-alones.  I can't think of any station that might be
associated with WEZF's early days (which weren't that early anyway);
WVPS has always been public.  WXXX was an 80-90 drop-in and only later
sold to the owners of WVMT.

-GAWollman