Re: WMEX to end all-local talk

At 11:52 PM 8/21/00 -0400, Kevin Vahey wrote:
>More than anything it shows how it is next to impossible for a daytimer to
>compete in a major market. The only one I can think of in this area was
>WXKS-AM which showed up well in the ratings before they even got their mini
>nighttime license. WILD also was able to carve out a nice niche, but overall
>to be a player in this market you need full time service.

Then Joe Ross commented...

>And the big problem is that the station apparently relied on people to
>happen to discover them.  You can't do that if you want to get a
>commercially viable following.

WXKS and WILD had formats unique to the market, and (especially in WILD's
case) had a long heritage.  1060 has been a dog frequency since day 1 (as
was 1510 for most of the past 30 years), besides Boston has other talk
stations, not the case with AS or Urban.  Most people are pretty set in
their listening habits...it's hard enough to get people to discover a "new"
FM station, let alone an AM, which aside from a few heritage powerhouses is
all but dead in the eyes of all but the most diehard radio junkies.

I'm not a big talk radio fan, but from what little I've heard of the ever
newer WMEX, they didn't seem very compelling....technical glitches, the
feeling that no one was listening, etc. aren't gonna bring listeners in in
droves.  Whether you like or dislike syndicated fare such as Dr. Laura,
Rush, etc, they sound like pros who are at the top of their game, because
they are.