Re: Verizon coverage and sponsorships

On Sat, 19 Aug 2000 18:43:32 EDT Chuckigo@aol.com writes:
> In a message dated 08/19/2000 12:46:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> tklaundry@juno.com writes:
>.  It has  been my  experience that jocks do not check wires during
their shift even when (IF the station is even set up with one) a flashing
light goes off on the board that
> indicates  the wire needs attention. >>

> Chuck responds...
> Dave...
>     you crossed a line on this one.  there may be jocks who don't
> care about  the wire or the tv or the events or even the freakin'
newsroom....
>    I AM NOT ONE OF THEM.

	EASYBOY, never said you were, but the statement remains, MOST jocks
	don't give a rats behind about it and this is experience talking,   my
reference
	to coming in on Monday morning and finding the wire alarm reset button
	taped down is not a fabrication and happened frequently!

> Chuck continues...

>    don't ever, ever, ever pretend to clump me in with "most jocks".
> i ain't
> one, and that's why i still are one.  okay?   additionally, you may
> ask any
> one of the "News Journalists" at Morrissey Blvd who the person is
> who not
> only keeps an eye on the wire, but has helped them all through the
> learning
> process of NewsBoss and who is the person who has AP or UPI e-mail
> his person
> account with the latest news summaries when the satellite equipment
> does not
> function as it should.  (hint:  it ends with "...ckigo@aol.com")

	Again, just because you appear to be a jock who is aware of his
	surroundings it makes you unique, not the norm.

> dave then writes...
>  managers  are available 24/7,     they are at most 10 numbers away via

> telephone.>>

>  chuck responds....
>     gotcha.  so when your traffic person is away for the weekend and
> your  program director is away for the weekend and your sales manager
is
> away for the weekend  they are not always 10 numbers away.  on this
point,
> you may feel i'm wrong.  i simply feel you are delusional.

	I don't ever recall working at a station when the "management" was
	away, be it on vacation or the NAB etc., that I didn't get a memo saying
	"__will be away until XXX, in my absence direct any questions, problems
	to YYYY".   I can't believe that in a major company like yours that
similar 	memo's are not circulated at the appropriate time.  So YES,
mismanagement IS 	always at most 10 numbers away!

> Chuck continues...
> and finally, i've stopped reading dave's missive here:
> <<  Ahhh yes, the good old days when stations did those things,  How
> many
>     "music" stations covered the Concorde or JFK Jr. plane crash
> outside of
>     regularly scheduled MORNING newscasts? (since most if not all
> don't have
>     any newscasts scheduled at the times Chuck listed above) >>
>
>    I DID, DAVE.  IT WAS ON A SATURDAY MORNING.  IT WAS ON TV.  IT
> WAS ON THE
> WIRE.  AND DAMNIT, IT WAS ON 105.7 WROR.

	Good for you, but again, the exception not the rule,  but as my question
asked,  	how many "music" stations did this beyond scheduled newscast
times?BTW 	the search for JFK Jr.'s plane extended for a number of days
beyond Saturday 	morning as did TV coverage, did you (WROR) do hourly
updates as would have 	been done in the 	"good ol' days" until its
conclusion?  How about the Concorde	 crash?  Did you (WROR) or any other
"music" stations do any special reports 	or updates on that one?

> Chuck continues...
> wow.  i've never, ever gotten any kind of inkling that news
> journalists feel  this way about all "jocks" without first finding out
about what kind
> of  "jocks" they are.

	Again, MOST jocks, if you are not one great, YOU are the exception NOT
THE 	RULE.

> Chuck continues...
> sorry, Dave, but you are way off base on this one.   sit down and
> have a  beer.  (i'm now having my second...)

	Fine idea, I'll toast you on Tuesday (working til then so no cold one's
for me)

>   (*chuck peeked at the end of dave's note here:)
>    as for your "rule"...  i'd be willing to buy YOU a second beer if
> there is
> NOT a station out there with the same standing rule still posted
> somewhere
> (vis a vis airline crashes and airline commercials).   man, you come
> from
> some really "anal" stations if you've never once been trusted to use
> your
> common sense.

	I believe it was you who wrote that you WOULD have to get clearance from
your   	stations management before pulling a spot at your current place
of 	employment.

On a personal note,  Chuck, don't take things so personally, you'll live
longer and healthier. UNLESS, OF COURSE, YOU ARE PERSONALLY RESPONSIBLE
FOR THE CURRENT STATE OF RADIO, IN THAT CASE A POX UPON YOU!

DF