Re: WBOT

On Tue, 4 Jul 2000 Jibguy@aol.com wrote:

> You sure they were DISCO tapes?  I remember many Easy Listening (dare I say
> 'beautiful music?) reel-to-reel tapes there at the Newton site.

These were disco tapes. We sometimes used them as fill music on WUNR when
there was unsold time.

I have a dim memory of being told that the disco tapes were played on WBOS
only for a few weeks just after the beginning of "Disco 93" in 1978.

As I recall (dimly; please correct me, any of you that knows better), the
disco format originated in a weekly time-brokered show that Ron Robin paid
for on (Sunday?) nights. The show was so successful that WBOS general
manager Alan Temple invited Ron to do it several nights a week as a WBOS
employee, and shortly thereafter 24 hours a day -- at which point, lacking
the staff to do man it, he had the WUNR engineers run disco tapes several
hours a day for a while.

Rob Landry
umar@nerodia.wcrb.com