Re: 1060, 96.9...

On 19 May 00, at 13:50, Martin Waters wrote:

>  The trouble with all these formats these days is you wonder if
> anybody's ever in it for the long haul. You don't suddenly build a
> reputation for something like news or talk in two books. WBZ has been
> working on it for 80 years, WRKO for 20. IMO, music is different, The
> audience moves around much faster.

The most successful music stations have had similar formats for
decades too.  Kiss, Magic, WAAF, WBCN, Oldies, WCRB, and
WZLX have all stuck to the same formats for over a decade, and in
some cases far longer.  Look who's dominating the ratings in their
formats.  There are similar stories of longevity in Providence,
Worcester, Springfield, Hartford, and many other markets.

I think there will be even less turmoil in these successful formats in
the future, because group ownership has cut down on the head-to-
head format battles.  The frequent changes occur, as you might
expect, with the fringier formats.  That's not necessarily because
music audiences are more fickle, but because the stations are
looking to find more ears.

> But the way the business is done now, you always feel that nobody
> will make an investment in a format that might take five years to
> pay off big.

When in the history of radio has anyone done that?  Sure, there
might be a few stations whose owners stuck it out that long in the
hopes that their dreams would come true, and maybe in a few
cases they did.  But I can't think of anyone who ever threw a huge
investment into their radio station, and didn't expect things to pay
off for five years.

Mark Laurence
mlaurence@mindspring.com