Re: FCC Interesting Info

First I wrote:
> I don't believe the FCC by themselves do much in the way of monitoring for
> underwriting violations, any more than they do for things like daytime-only
> AMs being on at night or indecency/obscenity violations.  They will,
> however, respond to complaints received from other sources, be it listeners
> or other stations.  (It helps to be able to back up such complaints with
> real proof, of course, as well as a knowledge of what the rules actually
> are...)

then Joe replied:
>What's real proof?  Does it take an aircheck?  Or is it enough if I report
>what I heard them say?

Airchecks are best.  An "I heard them say...", without the backing of an
aircheck tape or transcript, probably won't fly unless multiple complaints
are received that are consistent with one another.  Or so I've heard.  I
don't work for the FCC, and (fortunately) neither I nor the station for
which I volunteer have been on the receiving end of a complaint that's made
it all the way to DC, so I can't say for certain.

-Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mamros@mit.edu