Re: Vikings upset Karmazin

--- Jibguy@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 4/27/00 7:19:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> That is correct... WFAN is, by far, the top biller in the nation.
>  WINS is in  5th place or something like that, but also significantly
> less than WFAN. And NO, the FCC does not keep billing stats on
> stations.  That's done by   privae firms such as Duncan's

For 1998, both Duncan and BIA listed WINS-AM as 4th in NYC(Duncan estimated
$39.1million and BIA's figure was $38.3). WFAN made $54 or $55
million in 1998 depending on which source(BIA or Duncan) you use.

But WFAN's #1 figures are quite deceiving because they show
only billable revenue, not profits. Under WFAN's old 1998
deals with the Knicks and Rangers, WFAN produced the broadcasts, sold
the ads, paid the rights fee to MSG and kept whatever profit was left after
all the expenses. Under a new five-year deal which began with 1999/2000
season, Chuck Dolan's teams(MSG) now sell their own ads and keep
the money, while paying WFAN a fee. In effect, they are  buying
WFAN's airtime.  So WFAN's ad revenue for 1999 might actually
drop. But with the fees, Karmazin's profits may not. Karmazin
dramatically increased the number of spots on all of his NYC stations
last year so WFAN will probably still be #1 biller(in a $60 million
range) in NYC and country when 1999 numbers come out.

Duncan's 1998 revenue rankings in NYC(Duncan should be releasing 1999
figures shortly) :

1.WFAN: $ 54 million
2. WXRK: $ 45.6 million
3. WLTW: $ 45.4 million
4. WINS: $ 39.1 million
5. WCBS-FM: $ 36.3 million
6. WKTU: $ 34 million
7. WCBS-AM: $ 33.5 million
8. WQHT: $ 30.8 million
9. WRKS: $ 29 million
10.WPLJ: $ 28.1 million

The top 4 NYC stations were actually the top4  billers in the country.
I am pretty sure that KIIS-FM/LA came in 5th.

-Mark