RE: I read the Wall Street Journal so you don't have to

--- umar@nerodia.wcrb.com wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Mike Fitzpatrick wrote:
>
> > Slightly off topic.. When did WNCN in New York City switch to WAXQ, Classic
> > rock from its classical format?
>
> I believe it was in December, 1994.

Midnight December 18,1993. There was no stunting
as is the case with most format changes.(there was
station's press release re format change earlier
that afternoon but that's about it). As soon as
the clock struck midnight the classical music
ended followed by some clock ticking sounds
and rock blasted onto the airwaves....WNCN gave way
to WAQX...I remember watching WWOR news on cable
and seeing a story about a suburban NYC family who
kept their radio on WNCN 24/7(even when they were sleeping).
'NCN actually led 'QXR in the summer '93 book before the
flip(700,000 listeners to 675,000) by the owner(GAF)
couldn't break even with a Top100 classical format...

WNCN had changed its format to rock-and-roll before,
from November 1974 to May 1975. But NYC-based
5,000-member Listeners' Guild was a successful
party to efforts by the FCC to force the owner
to sell the station to privately-owned GAF Broadcasting,
whose chairman was then Jesse Werner, a devotee of classical music.
Mr. Werner was ousted as chairman in the early 1980's.
I believe WCRB's PD Mario Mazza was 'NCN's PD at the
time of the format/call letter change in 1993.

Mark