Re: I read the Wall Street Journal so you don't have to

When they say classical music stations saw their
billings drop from 1998 to 1999, did they figure this
(or did RAB figure it) by adding the billings of all
classical stations in each year and taking the ratio of
1999 to 1998 billings? An alternative calculation would
determine the ratio of 1999 to 1998 billings of all
stations (or selected stations) that had classical
formats all year in both years (the radio equivalent of
same-store sales). If the calculations were made using
the first method, there is a good explanation for the
drop in a year when billings rose overall. Classical
stations in Detroit, Philadelphia (and I think Miami)
changed to other formats.

As they say, figures don't lie, but liars figure.
Somewhat subjectively, 1999 was a damned good year for
the socio-economic class one always assumes to have the
highest percentage of classical music listeners
(affluent people 40 years old and over). But how many
owners will think to ask what the statistics mean when
they contemplate a format flip. All they'll know is that
classical went down when other formats went up.