Re: WKDM New York Sold To Mega

I haven't seen any mention of WKDM being sold.  Who was the person who
posted this message?  I'm pretty sure he was just starting a rumor, since
I've seen posts like this before and when I've asked the poster what are
his sources, he's declined to answer.
.
I doubt Arthur Liu (owner of WKDM) has ANY intention of selling this cash
cow unless someone offered him LOTS and LOTS of money. This is kind of
like what Hispanic Broadcasting Corp. (f'mly Heftel, owners of WADO-1280)
did
to buy WNWK-105.9  - now WCAA - from him [they traded WPAT-AM and a
fistful of
cash for this fleabag FM station).

There are two Spanish news/talk stations here in NYC.  One is WADO-1280
and the newcomer is WWRU-1660.  WADO is for the most part an all-local N/T
station, while WWRU is an O & O of Radio Unica (a nationwide Spanish talk
network - kind of like Talk America).  Neither of them has been doing
stellar in the ratings, however WADO at least appears in the books (it's
got the benefit of being a 30-year old institution in the Hispanic
population), while WWRU (on that dog of a frequency that most older radios
can't tune in) doesn't even make it in the Arbs.

Hope this helps.

On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, PublicRef2 wrote:

> This aafternoon (Friday, April 7th), while visiting the New York Radio
> Messageboard <http://musicradio.computer.net/wwwboard>, there were some
> posts announcing that WKDM-1380 in the New York area (I'm not sure if
> it's COL is New York or a suburb) has been sold to Mega.
>
> I don't know if there is a Spanish-language news/talk or talkradio
> format in New York (I know there are Spanish-language all-talk stations
> in Miami and Los Angeles),

Sven F. Weil
e-mail: sven@lily.org
World Wide Web: http://www.lily.org/~sven