Re: XTRA in LA

Kevin writes:
>That rule seems not to exist any more or is not enforced. Example George
>Steinbrenner feeds the Yankees into Tampa even though the area has it's own
>team.

I thought Florida was an exception, since until seven years ago there were
no
teams there and since the Yanks had games running in Tampa for years
before the Rays came in, hence they were grandfathered.

I still think the rule is enforced. I remember reading a few years back
about the
Angels airing their games on an English-language station in San Diego. When
MLB found out that the station had a really good signal in San Diego, the
Angels
were forced to pull the games at the end of the season in question. (This
was
in Baseball Weekly, which used to have a tremendous section on the inside
back cover listing listenable flagship stations. Boy, do I miss it.)

>The Sox and the Yankees may take a hands off policy with each other because
>of the "battleground: in Connecticut on who gets NESN  or MSG (or in some
>cases both)....one has to admit that Yankees games on WNRB "would" gather
>some listeners.

I would listen, since I actually think Kay and Sterling are better
announcers than
Trupiano and Castiglione. (Often when the two teams play each other, I'll
punch
up 770 and listen to those guys instead.) And I gather that 1440 gets some
decent
ratings with Yankees games. (They air all except Sox-Yankees, I'm guessing
Entercom is trying to protect its Red Sox network on 'TAG.) However, you
know
the Sox brass would flip if WNRB ever aired a Yankees game.

 -Sean