No Subject

On FM, the dial begins to light up with Spanish-language FM drop-ins,
including regional Mexican KLOK (99.5 Greenfield, "Radio Tricolor,"
whose red-white-and-green stickers were on every other pickup truck)
and Z Spanish Media's KZSL (93.9 King City) and KSEA (107.9
Greenfield).  Z also owns KRAY (103.5 Salinas) and KLXM (97.9
Salinas), and just bought KLUE (106.3 Soledad), which had been
simulcasting San Jose's KEZR on adjacent 106.5 for no good reason that
we could discern.

One more new signal caught our ears as we approached Salinas: KOQI
(1200 Soquel), a longtime CP finally activated with what sounded like
a stack of country CDs and a taped ID at about :12 past each hour.
It's a powerful signal from the KIEZ (540) sticks southeast of
Salinas, and one that's being reported up and down the coast as far
north as San Francisco.

And from there, it was north to San Francisco for us, too, to catch
the plane that took us home through Chicago (where we suffered through
something like 12 minutes of spots on WJMK 104.3 waiting for a Dick
Biondi remote from a suburban Home Depot...)

*That's it for another week, but before we go: Does anyone have a copy
of the February 7 "Broadcasting and Cable" that they're done with?
It's a long story, but suffice it to say we'd like to hear from you if
you do.  Thanks on behalf of the NERW Attic...and we'll see you next
Friday!

---------------------NorthEast Radio Watch------------------------
                     (c)2000 Scott Fybush

No redistribution permitted for commercial use, or for
noncommercial use without prior written permission.

NorthEast Radio Watch is published each Friday night and
distributed immediately to the NERW and Boston Radio
Interest mailing lists.

To be added to the NERW mailing list, send e-mail to
<nerw-request@bostonradio.org> with the word "subscribe"
as the body of the message.  You will receive a confirmation
code to return by e-mail to begin your free subscription.
Please direct any questions about the list process to
<nerw-owner@bostonradio.org>; subscription requests and
questions sent directly to NERW cannot be acted on.

NERW is archived at the Boston Radio Archives,
<http://www.bostonradio.org/radio/bostonradio.html> and
is generally made available there about a week after
publication.

Opinions expressed in NERW are solely those of the author
and not necessarily those of MIT, LCS, or Time Warner.

NERW welcomes your news and contributions at
<nerw@bostonradio.org>.