Re: Custon edits (was Re: Thursday Night Countdown Chart)

In a message dated 03/17/2000 2:25:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mwaters@mail.wesleyan.edu writes:

<< There were radio station copies of both versions, certainly, but I
 personally know that the record company (Columbia Records, I think?) handed
 out the edit version. There was a lot of that with shortened versions,
 etc., because the companies responded to the stations' issues in order to
 make sure of the airplay. >>

the shortened versions make for interesting listening when you have the
entire cut.  example:  One Of A Kind Love Affair by the Spinners "radio
version" fades at 3:18 or so.  The LP version runs over four minutes, and a
good listen at about 3:43 will tell the reason why there was a label issued,
shortened fade version.
   And then there's Charlie Daniels "Devil Went Down To Georgia", the "son of
a GUN" version.
    "Money" by Pink Floyd had both a beep and a "nothing" version, where the
"Bull" was followed by a beep on some stations, and a "space" over the music
on others.
   The contemporary (now a recurrent) tune "What It's Like" by Everlast is a
work of technical mastery.  They've taken a fully "graphic" song, and instead
of omitting or beeping or "spacing" out the nasty words, they simply (?)
inserted various sound effects and/or "reversed" the actual word over the
music.  I just sampled the "hook" from a music site,
(http://rollingstone.tunes.com/sections/recordings/text/track.asp?ttrackid=123
3170&status=514)
 and trust me when I say the LP version is blunt.  The radio version is so
well done that i know of a couple of "contemp" announcers who have aired the
tune who never even noticed the sfx/audio flips.
    the movie Johnny Dangerously had the right idea, those farging geniuses.
they weren't any dumb iceholes.

- -Chuck Igo