Re: FCC Database

The current problems with the FCC databases have been
well publicized. The FCC cut over to a new computer
system on February 1 and all heck broke loose. They have
been able to substantially (but not completely) restore
the information to what existed before the disastrous
cut-over. The errors that now remain appear to be
random; it's no longer a case of all field strengths
being off by an order of magnitude or all augmentations
of AM patterns being erroneous. Because of the random
nature of the errors, you can't trust ANY of the
information. I have heard no announcement of a timetable
for correct, current databases reappearing. I suspect
that nobody at the FCC knows.

Before you blame the ineptitude of the FCC bureaucrats,
it's my understanding that the work on the new computer
system was subcontracted to a private firm. Whether FCC
or GAO personnel were responsible for selecting the
successful bidder, I don't know.