Re: Schlessinger (Was Re: One Tower, Two (or more) States)

At 07:02 PM 3/12/00 -0500, Martin J. Waters wrote:

         IMO, most of the public in the U.S. hears doctor and thinks,
>medical doctor. I also know from many years doing PR for a college that
>there are two schools of thought in higher education, generally, as well as
>specifically among people who have doctorates. One is that using Dr. for
>Ph.D. or other academic doctorate is pompous and silly and, in my
>experience, most professors at the leading schools don't do it.

Interesting.  When I was in college, all professors who held doctorates
were called "doctor."   There were very few professors who didn't have a
doctorate.

Lawyers are not usually called "doctor," and this is partly because, prior
to the late 1960s, the law degree was LL.B., and earlier in the 20th
Century, it was common for people to go to law school without having
completed an undergraduate degree.  Completing an undergraduate degree
before going to law school was only just starting to be required in the
mid-1960s, when I was applying to law school, even though by that time it
was usual to do so.  After the law degree was formally a post-graduate
degree, a few law schools began changing the degree to J.D.  The movement
only really gathered steam in the late 1960s, and my law school changed it
about a year before I graduated.

Many law schools even allowed their past graduates, if they had another
bachelor's degree, to convert their LL.B. degrees into J.D.s, on payment of
a fee.

  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                     617.367.0468
  15 Court Square                              lawyer@world.std.com
  Boston, MA 02108-2503      http://world.std.com/~lawyer/