RE: Question

Mark: So does direct measurement use an RF wattmeter,
which would automatically compensate for variations in
the common-point resistance, or does it involve taking
the square of the common-point current and multiplying
by the (presumed) commom-point resistance. The wattmeter
method sounds more fool-proof, especially if the common-
point impedance has a significant reactive component,
which could make determining the resistance a bit
tricky. This might be particularly true if the reactance
were unstable.

And if direct measurement involves measuring the
current, squaring it, and mutiplying by a previously
measured resistance, how does the old method (the method
that direct measurement replaces) work? And what was the
old method called--indirect measurement? Seems as though
deriving the power from I^2*R could qualify as an
indirect-measurement technique.