Notes on Bruins and NHL Telecasts.

I'm not sending this through my regular E-Mail server. To respond, reply
to: <notquite@hotmail.com>. Thanks!

Now that Ray Bourque has been traded, look for ABC to change two of the
four regional NHL games to be fed on weekend afternoons to WCVB-5 and
probably other ABC affiliates in New England.

Two of the four weekend dates where ABC will carry regular-season
hockey, March 18th and April 1st, will feature the free-falling Bruins
(vs. Pittsburgh and New York Rangers, respectively). The other two
weekend matinee dates ABC has for the NHL (Saturday, March 25th and
Sunday, April 9th) are dates where the Bruins will not be shown.

Until now, ABC was to have fed two New York Rangers' games to WCVB and
other affiliates in the New England region.

Thanks to the Ray Bourque trade, look for WCVB to be fed Colorado at
Dallas on March 24th, and Detroit at Colorado on April 9th. Unless the
Bruins pull-off a miracle and make the playoffs (in which case WCVB
would be fed Bruins weekend afternoon playoff games by ABC for however
long they last in the playoffs), look for ABC to feed WCVB Colorado
playoff games on weekend afternoons for however long the Avalanche are
alive.

I suspect that given the trade, and a free-falling team, WSBK's Bruins
ratings may be only around 1 to 1.4 for the two games at Montreal they
will be showing (this Saturday and March 29th) over the rest of the
season, and may only score hash-marks for the other games. WCVB/ABC may
get a 2 for the two Bruins' games on ABC, and maybe a 2 for the two
Colorado games.

Also, given what Dale Arnold has said on WEEI the past few days, and
given the fact that the Bruins are part-owner of NESN, don't look for
him to be back on NESN's Bruins games next
season. He's as good as gone. So might the other TV/cable/radio
announcers. I think we'll have a gaggle of new voices, probably all from
out-of-town, doing the Bruins' broadcasts next year.

Joseph Gallant
Reply to: <notquite@hotmail.com>