Re: Clear Channel files AMFM divestitures with the FCC

Wow! In Cleveland, two of the city's three 50 kW AMs go to Salem. WRMR 850,
which has been adult standards and WKNR 1220, which has been sports. So two
of the three big AM signals in Cleveland will go religious or
ultra-right-wing talk. That's equivalent to Salem picking up WEEI and WRKO
here. I can't think of any markets where Salem properties carry secular
formats--unless you consider Salem's talk network to be secular. I believe
that Salem already owns one or more AMs in the Cleveland market, so perhaps
the company will spin off one or more lower powered AMs.

For those who objected to my characterization of Salem when they bought what
had been WBNW 590 here a few years back, remember that both Mr Epperson and
Mr Atsinger are alumni of the now-infamous Bob Jones University. In case you
thought back then that these gentlemen were in the mainstream of US
Christian thought, you should now no longer harbor any doubts about their
position. Nevertheless, they sure know how to make money in radio!

--

Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@worldnet.att.net
Phone: 1-617-558-4205, eFax: 1-707-215-6367