Could we see ABC's Prime-Time Stanley Cup Finals Games Start at 9:05 P.M.?

I'm not sending this message hrough my normal E-Mail server. To respond,
please reply to: <notquite@hotmail.com>. Thanks!

As you may have heard, ABC's new TV deal with the National Hockey League
calls for the network to broadcast up to 5 (if the series goes seven
games) games of this year's Stanley Cup Finals, and, depending on
ratings, perhaps the entire Finals in future years.

I believe--but I'm not 100% certain--that games 1, 4, and if needed 5,
6, and 7 would be on ABC with games 1 and 4 being Sunday-afternoon
matinees.

However, despite the fact that traditionally, nighttime games of the
Stanley Cup Finals face-off at 8:11 P.M. (Eastern; TV coverage begins at
8), I would not be surprised at all if ABC's prime-time games of the
Finals begin at 9:05 P.M. Eastern, with a 9 P.M. broadcast time.

Why?

Six words: "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?"

Because the NHL has yet to become a major TV sports attraction, ABC may
decide that moving the games back to 9 P.M. and showing "Millionaire" at
8 might deliver a large lead-in viewership to those games.

Given the NHL's woes concerning TV, I think they'd go along with it
because they'll need every viewer they can attract as a result of a
"Millionaire" lead-in.

However, viewers in eastern Canada (especially the Maritimes and
Newfoundland) will object, because viewers in the Maritimes would see
the Stanley Cup Finals come on at 10 P.M. (10:30 in Newfoundland).

But the U.S. is a bigger market, so right before you see St. Louis and
New Jersey go for the Cup on ABC, you'll see contestants going for the
million.

<sarcastic mode on>

And that's my final answer.

</sarcastic mode off>