Re: 91.7 & WUMB (Was: WAVM & WUMB In Radio Wars)

>I don't know how they plan on shoehorning in Newburyport, with
>WMWM-Salem's 130 watt signal just up the street

The (proposed? or is it already accepted?) 91.7 facility in Newburyport
uses a directional pattern that's sort of an odd peanut shape, with
the deepest null to the southwest, apparently to protect WMWM.

I'm personally appalled at WUMB's blatant "land grab" at the expense
of WAVM.  Pat Monteith's description of WAVM's application as "a
violation of the law" is completely untrue, as far as I know.
WMBR moved from class D to class A just over 20 years ago, and even
though class D's have since been downgraded to secondary service,
I don't know of any regulation changes that outright prohibit
existing class D's from becoming class A's, if they can prove that
it won't cause objectionable interference.  I intend to get an
opinion on this from an attorney who specializes in working with
the FCC, if I can...

-Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mamros@mit.edu