Re: WTIC (AM) anniversary broadcast

I wonder how long synchronized operation continued. I
have a feeling that it pretty much ended by 1935. For
sure, it was over in 1941, because I've heard nothing
about synchronized stations after NARBA (other than
WLLH, WBZ/WBZA, WOL-1450, WINX-1340, KOB/KKOB, WBT,
KIPA, and a handful of other "experimental" setups that
are currently in use for null fill-in and extension of
night coverage). Moreover, all of the cases I've cited
involve synchronous TX's transmitting the same program.

Synchronous operation must be pretty unsatisfactory if
the stations carry different programs and either
delivers a substantial skywave within the groundwave
service of the other. My guess is that a listener
perceives no difference from what is heard without
synchronization. Of course, in 1931, crystal-oscillator
technology was not what it has been for the last 50
years, so it may have been easier to synchronize two
stations than to keep them within one or two hertz of
the nominal frequency.

Also, quite possibly, in 1931, there was a less than
complete appreciation of MW skywave propagation.