Re: WTIC (AM) anniversary broadcast

Martin J. Waters wrote:

> I had found WTIC on 660 kHz, synchronous
> with WEAF, on a 1931 list by frequency, and I stopped looking. But WTIC
> also is shown on that list as sharing time with WBAL on 1060. So it was a
> very complicated arrangement. It must have been different frequencies on
> different days.

Or even different hours of the same day.  Below is the story, as
reported in the New York Times on 3/13/1931 (page 22).  This is a bit
lengthy, but I found it fascinating and trust others will, too.  For the
young folks, WEAF was key station of NBC's Red network, WJZ was key
station of NBC's Blue network.

"A long-hoped-for accomplishment in the broadcasting structure of this
country, that of an economy of wavelengths through two or more chain
stations operated in the same channel without interference, will become
a working reality on Monday when WTIC at Hartford begins transmitting
with WEAF and WBAL at Baltimore starts dual sending with WJZ, according
to the National Broadcasting Company.
"Station WEAF and WTIC will transmit simultaneously on WEAF's
660-kilocycle wave until 4 P.M. on Monday, sending out the same
program.  Stations WJZ and WBAL will broadcast in unison on WJZ's 760
kilocycle wave after 4 o'clock.  At hours of the day when the
synchronization plan is not in force, the Hartford and Baltimore
stations will broadcast independent of WEAF and WJZ, sharing time on
their regular wave of 1,060 kilocycles.  The full week's schedule of the
synchronized operation for WEAF and WTIC follows:
[M-W-F, WTIC and WEAF together on 660 until 4 p.m., then WTIC on 1060
while WBAL and WJZ share 760; T-Th-Sa, WTIC gets 1060 at the start of
the day while WBAL and WJZ are on 760, then at 4 p.m. WTIC shares 660
with WEAF.  On Sunday WBAL stays on 1060 until 7:30 p.m. when it
switches to 760 as WTIC leaves 660.]
"The new broadcasting plan was authorized yesterday for actual operation
by the Federal Radio Commission, following the announcement by WEAF-WJZ
engineers and their associates at the other transmitters that
synchronization was 'ready for practical use.'  According to N.B.C.
Construction Engineers permits for the necessary auxiliary apparatus had
been issued several months ago by the commission.  Under the new
broadcasting plan WTIC and WBAL are expected to give their listeners
full-time service in their respective areas.  Under the old plan of
transmission it was necessary for either WTIC or WBAL to remain silent
while the other was operating on the joint wave length of 1,060
kilocycles.  By means of delicate but substantial apparatus recently
perfected, carrier waves of the stations operating on the same wave are
expected to be held within small tolerances, thus preventing audible
interference due to heterodyning of the waves.
"The device which makes such broadcasting possible, according to C.W.
Horn, general engineer of the N.B.C., is a 'stabilizer which is similar
in effect to a fly-wheel.'  It automatically operates the station, and
is itself governed in turn by a 'frequency control,' which comes over a
wire line from the central control point.  The stabilizer disregards all
line variations such as fluctuations in voltage, momentary changes in
frequency and other disturbing things, and to all practical purposes
holds the 'phase relation between the stations in an ideal way.'
"'Synchronization,' continued Mr. Horn, 'as developed and applied, will
be of the utmost importance to the listening public.  If spaced
geographically, stations will be able to synchronize and still maintain
their own program services without interference.'
"It was under Mr. Horn's supervision that WBZ and WBZA of Springfield
and Boston, respectively, first tried out a plan of this nature for dual
operation.  'Local perculiarities in the Boston area,' however, are said
to have prevented full achievement of synchronization between the
Massachusetts broadcasters."

The following Tuesday the Times declared the first day of synchronized
operation to be a success (3/17/1931, p. 34):

"Synchronized radio stations in the same channel became a reality
yesterday and apparently few listeners were the wiser, for no calls of
'indignation' were received at the headquarters of WEAF and WJZ to
report clashing of the waves."

Apparently there WAS some clashing of the waves on the other side of the
world.  This appeared in the Times on 3/29/1931 (section 9, page 8):

"In one week WTIC received three letters from listeners who had heard
the Connecticut station in Paris, and twenty-six letters from New
Zealand.  The New Zealanders complain that when WTIC is synchronized
with WEAF on 660 kilocycles, there is 'cross-talk' between the
Connecticut station and 2ZF of New Zealand, which operates on 665
kilocycles."

Referring to a 1928 article about WTIC's new Avon Mountain site, Mr.
Waters observed:

> It sounds a little odd to read about them looking for a site to
> avoid interference by putting it a little way off from the population
> center. Sounds like early radio days thinking, IMO. Sounds like they were
> trying to avoid blanketing interference that would interfere with receiving
> distant signals on other channels...

I'm sure that's so.  Look at the radio listings in most newspapers of
the 1920s and you'll find schedules for stations from all over the
country (or at least the nighttime portions thereof).  For many
listeners, having a radio and being a DXer went hand-in-hand in the
early days.