Re: A Group of Towers in Acton

In a message dated 2/16/00 5:45:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Greetings:
    I was curious about those 13 towers too, so one day about 7 years ago, I
walked that area, enteringfrom a residential neighborhood behind the towers,
and walked around.  Towers are about 140' tall, resemble AM towers, but also
some elements of short-wave broadcasting.  From what I've heard, those are
low frequency AM (perhaps 350 kHz) (possibly)-government emergency-use
towers.  However, I did not see any "US Property - No Trespassing" signs
anywhere around.  -    While we're on the topic, about 8 miles SE of
Manchester are three 140' (or so) towers in a row off of a busy north-south
road, not far from the airport.  Look very much like AM-station towers but
they are obviously not, since we all know which towers belong to which
stations up there.
----jibguy (Bob Bittner)

psherman@ma.ultranet.com writes:
<<
 There is a cluster of of perhaps 15-20 short (unlit) towers near the
 Acton/Concord line, between Rtes. 2 and 2A just west of the Concord rotary.
 They have horizontal wires strung between them, so my first thought was that
 they might be shortwave towers, but there are no shortwave broadcasters in
 this area. They are in and amongst a grove of fir trees, too, which is
 unusual. Does anyone know anything about them?