RE: A group of towers in Waltham

At WWLP (22 Springfield) upstairs in the microwave room is still the old
relay switch panel for the NBC microwave network. The switches are labeled
"RX Hartford"  "TX Paxton".  Now the microwave path is just used to pass
video from us to WHDH in Boston (and vise-versa) via the Paxton repeater.

> Back in the "old days" of Channel 9....if we ever lost ABC service and
> called long lines..the excuse was always "signal lost at Bear Hill"

We have a demodulator tuned into WVIT-30 (New Britain)'s off air signal as a
last resort should we lose our NBC feed. (Which seems to happen quite
frequently having the NBC equipment wires running underground to a shack,
near one of the guy wire supports for our tower). WVIT also has the same
kind of setup tuned into ours so if they have the same kind of emergency,
and we both have used each other's off air signal in times of need.

> Meanwhile for us back at 1819 Elm Street we took WNAC and later
> WCVB off air
> on a Conrac tuner plugged into the old United Cable maybe 25% of
> the time as
> the microwave link was that bad.

--MIKE