Re: WGY now non-directional but not always?

"Martin J. Waters" wrote:

>         According to a radio history chronology at Jeff Miller's very
> excellent website, WGY made the first broadcast with 50 kW, at least in the
> U.S., if not the world, on May 13, 1924.

>From the questions file:  What lead to the authorizations to the higher
power stations?  Is it true that Edison Electric went for a 5 kW
authorization for WEEI (590 Boston) because it was more than they
expected to need to cover out to where the cows began (what we now
lovingly call 128)?

A now deceased radio tech who worked in the 20s said he spent a big
chunk of time "riding the gains at the shack."  I always hoped that he
was referring to the days preceding peak limiters....  Average
modulation levels of AMers in the days before big, honkin'
processors...60%?

Where would AM be without the emergence of direction AM?

That should do it.

Bill O'Neill