Re: NBC sweetheart deal in SF Bay

--- Kevin Vahey <kvahey@mediaone.net> wrote:
> SF slant on this KRON story
>
> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/examiner/hotnews/stories/15/
> Sgoodman.dtl
>
> I have one word for this YIKES!!!
>
> Anybody recall what Sunbeam wound up getting from NBC
> 5 years ago when WBZ became a CBS station leaving NBC
> homeless? Now what does that mean for the Boston market?

The WHDH deal is somewhere between $100 million to
$150 million over 10 years. The "balloon" provision
in the Sunbeam-NBC agreement actually increases annual
payments in the later years of the deal, averaging
to about $13 million year. The deal totals about half of
the $215 million price tag Ansin paid for WHDH in 1993.
WHDH is solid No.2 in the market. I am sure if Ansin
was to put WHDH on the block, he could easily get about
the same amount as Chronicle got for KRON-TV last October
-- $823 million...