Re: COL

WXKS (AM)'s COL changed from Medford to Everett when the
station began night service. FCC requirements state that
a Class A or B AM must deliver an interference-free
nighttime signal to at least 80% of the area of the COL.
There is no similar requirement for Class C and D AMs
because no interference-free nighttime service area is
calculated for them. The WXKS TX, studios, and offices
are in Medford, but are at the east side of the city.
The DA sends very little signal to the west and the QRM
on 1430 is extremely high. The worst culprit is WENE,
which sends the equivalent of nearly 50 kW toward
Boston. Therefore, little of Medford receives an
interference-free signal at night. Everett, on the other
hand, is geographically compact, is due east of the TX,
and is separated from the TX by salt water. Everett also
has no radio station, so changing the COL to Everett was
a slam dunk.

None of the stations on your list is licesnsed to
Boston. All ID as <something>-Boston in accordance with
FCC regs. Yes, the regs are a joke, but if you stick
youir head far enough in the sand, they do have a
certain bizarre logic.