Re: MetroWest Daily News story on WKOX

A link to the WKOX story can be found here:
http://www.townonline.com/metrowest/news/business/index.h
tml

Apparently WRCA also wants to move to the WUNR site.
There have long been rumors that WRCA would move from
its current site. That's truly too bad because WRCA has
a great signal and WUNR does not. Perhaps, though, WRCA
can get a power increase from Saw Mill Brook Parkway--a
distinct possibility because the story talks about
replacing WUNR's two towers with five towers. One
possibility would be for WUNR and WRCA to share one pair
of towers and WKOX to use the other three. That
arrangement would not permit either WUNR or WRCA to
increase power, however.

The story also says that WKOX's daytime operation would
continue from the present Framingham site except with 50
kW. Now I have a few questions: WKOX's CP to go to 50 kW
day and night from its present site shows a day pattern
that appears to be designed to limit critical-hours
skywave radiation toward CFGO Ottawa to its present
value. Clearly, if WKOX were to operate ND days, or even
use its present towers with 50 kW-D DA, there would be a
huge increase in CH skywave toward CFGO.

It seems as if WKOX's engineers may have become overly
conservative as a result of their misadventure with an
application (never accepted by the FCC as far as I know)
to move to the WEEI site. This would have caused huge
prohibited overlap with WESX. From the WUNR site, using
50 kW, that might be a concern. I haven't tried running
the numbers, so I'm not certain, although overlap with
WESX would certainly be less of a problem than it would
have been from Wellington Circle. In any event, I wonder
whether the idea might not be for WKOX to run CH and N
from Saw Mill Brook Parkway and to use less than 50 kW
CH. Could WKOX be planning to apply for 50 kW-D DA-D
from Framingham, 10 kW-ND CH from Newton, and 50 kW DA-N
from Newton? I guess we'll have to wait until the FCC
accepts the applications for tender.