Re: new TV spots

> If Barnicle were to be hired by a newspaper or magazine, then I'd
seriously
> question that paper's or magazine's ethics.  But the job of radio talk
show
> host is not that of a journalist.  Would you deny the man any opportunity
> for gainful employment at all?
>
> One could say that his role as occasional commentator for Chronicle on
> Channel 5 might be a bit more questionable, depending on how broad a
> definition of journalism one chooses to apply...  (Though I have to
> admit, the piece he did on the fallen Worcester firefighters a couple
> months back was truly moving...)

While questioning the ethics of Barnicle or Smith, or any other columnist
that's been booted for one stupid thing or another,  one has to keep in mind
that both of those people were columnists and not reporters.  Does that mean
we shouldn't hold them up to the same standards as an actual "news
reporter/writer"?  Sort of...at least in my view.  While plagiarism (sp?) is
a no-no in any medium, you normally don't read a column for hard news.  As
someone who has been, and remains on both ends (formerly as a reporter, now
as a columnist) no one should compare columnists to the work that reporters
actually do.

As a columnist, I can have fun with my pieces.  I can take my time, and
interject opinion...why do you think I signed up for the gig?  Because being
an actual news reporter/writer is hard - being a columnist takes almost no
energy.

When it comes to a talk show host - we're looking for their opinion, we
either agree or disagree.  If I want hard news - I'll wait for the top of
the hour.

And yes, I'm prepared not to be flamed, but torched for this post.

Marc Lemay