Re: WCAP and Other Various Radio Memories

Mark wrote:

>    More names from WCAP's past.I'll admit I was a bit tired when I posted
> about John Tucker,Bob Canaway,and Bob Dumais.So tired that I forgot some of
> those names from WCAP's great news dept back in the late 70's through the
> 80's.(Let's not forget Scott Fybush either,Bill).

I was just trying not to remind Scott that he's _that_ old to be
considered fodder for the time capsule....  Scott brought
credibility to the Sat. morn. shift (balancing my talk act, of
course.) <g>

>    And through all the changes at 243 Central St one thing hasn't:Cappy's
> Copper Kettle is still downstairs,where on Friday and Saturday nights
> longtime WLLH weekend mainstay J.C. appears with his golden oldies show.

Once observe "JC" when he was at the old WLLH studio at 4 B'way
Lowell.  He cranked the mic pot to the top, backed up as far as he
could go to the back wall of the booth, then, well, it wasn't quite
clear what would happen after that.  You really needed to be there,
I guess.

>     (Scott:how about a NERW gathering at the Copper Kettle??You and Bill
> O'Neill can reenact those post WCAP night shift "critique" sesions for the
> studio audience!!) <g>

Scott & I tended to avoid Cappy's since we were of the belief that
it's best to report a story than to become part of one <g>.  And it
is local urban myth about any fireman's pole from the WCAP lobby
down to the Kettle, but there's truth to the need for oxygen to make
it to the top of the stairs into the lobby.  I was at Cappy's one
evening with some station folks, around '82 or so, when Susan
Warnick came in with a camera crew working up some "local reax" on a
Lowell story and to grab some B roll.  As they approached the table
an engineer showed his WHDH/WCOZ ID and a newsguy flashed his RKO
General (you figure the calls) card and the kliegs went to another
table.  My first exposure to prof. courtesy.

If you ever did a shift at WCAP at or near March 17th, you had to
better love the smell of cooking corned beef and cabbage, or forever
hold your breath.....

Bill O'Neill