Re:Westinghouse Lives

An entry (by whom I forget) mentioned that a caller to WBZ's "David Brudnoy Show" claimed that WGBX-TV 44 signs off with the words "transmitter in Needham, Mass
by arrangement with Westinghouse Broadcasting".  I admit
it...I was that caller.  For those of you who get
WGBH-TV and WGBX-TV over the air (really tough these
days for the latter during antenna reconstruction) or
on cable, a weekly program you might find interesting
is the "Beat the Press" media review on "Greater Boston
with Emily Rooney" telecast Fridays at 7:00 pm on WGBH-TV and repeated at about 11:30 on WGBX-TV.  Anyway, I
never miss the show and when I heard Emily on David's
show Friday (2/4/00) I dialed in to tell her how much
I enjoyed it.  While I was on hold, D.B. mentioned that
the re-run was on WGBH-TV channel 44, and I took the
opportunity to set a Ph.D. straight.  The comment about
the reference to the Westinghouse sign-off was an
ad-lib of sorts.  Once a week I tape a short program
called "Star Gazer" that 'GBX plays at a variable time
at the end of the broadcast day (that's why I used the
word 'about' when referring to the 11:30 re-run time;
44 is not a stickler for starting times) and I set the
VCR for a period of time before and after 12:55 am to
be sure I record all of it.  On a couple of occasions,
this has caused me to tape the sign-off of the broadcast
channel (although they provide overnight broadcasts
for cable viewers) and by chance I noticed that they
still make the Westinghouse reference.  Try it sometime
and relive those thrilling days of yesteryear when
Group W was force in the broadcasting universe.

Laurence from Methuen

Get free personalized email at http://email.lycos.com