Re: I read the Legal Notices so you don't have to

In a message dated 2/3/00 11:28:40 PM Eastern Standard Time, Jibguy writes:

<< Being an ex-WNTN'er ('78-'81), I know for a fact that WNTN did NOT balk.
KOX folks talked to NTN at length, and then suddenly NTN never heard from
them again, not even an explanation as to WHY they h\never heard from KOX. >>

Here was the story which I thought had been floated on this list and LTAR,
and I stand corrected if I am wrong:

* There was some discussion and a preliminary agreement between the two
stations;

*WKOX applied for the CP from Rumford Avenue and actually got approval from
the FCC, despite possible interference issues with that station on 1200 in
Newburgh, NY. the one which was operating with an STA on 1200 at the time
(but I believe they're now on 1220);

* Then WNTN changed its mind about letting 'KOX diplex, for whatever reason.

I could have sworn that was the story which was heard both here and on your
show, Bob, though the brain is getting a little rusty at my old age <g>.

If anyone can recall, around the time this was all happening (which was late
1996 and early 1997) Fairbanks had tried to install a local talk lineup on
WKOX, including Gene Burns via ISDN from San Francisco, a local morning show
(including former WEEI voice Nick Mills IIRC), and mostly Talk America stuff
(including Judy Jarvis). Once their plans for going 50k died, it was off to
brokered-time and no local programming. (Around this time there was also talk
that CBS was going to buy 1200 and make it a sports talker with Bruins games.)

-Sean