Re: WARE-WKBR

>Well, you asked the right guy, having done the proofs on WKBR a few years
>back, required to resurrect it from the dead.   KBR started in 1946 as a 250w
>or 500w station on 1240.  Then in late 1959, it went 5kw DA-2, and moved to
>1250.  So, actually WARE was on 1250 first.  KBR has had the same night
>pattern since 1959, but since '59 the day pattern changed somewhere around
>1964.

        I had no idea WKBR was so recent as a full-time station. I know
WARE started as a 1 kW daytimer in 1949, and had the vague impression it
got some night power within a few years after that, at most, but I don't
actually know when it was. I also know that WARE's original owner was Judge
Tarlow, as he's known, who also already owned WHIL, I think, when he
started WARE.

>    A station that no one has thought of, is the actual one that hurts KBR
>the most at night, and that is WMTR 1250 in Morristown NJ.

        Still live and local, BTW, very old-fashioned sounding like
small-town radio at its best. I think they had a lost pet report on, or
something elese just like it. News about the local city council. In one of
those dead-of-winter daytime skywave things, I had WMTR coming in way on
top of WARE here in Wallingford in December at around 2 to 3 p.m. I had
never heard it here before in the daytime.
        Down here, when any signal on 1250 can be IDed at night out of the
hash, it's just about always WTAE in Pittsburgh (old calls; think they've
changed; no idea what they are now; don't really care).