Re: FCC grants WJLT application for 2 kW-D

WSRO's proposed day pattern doesn't make a whole lot of
sense to me. I understand the restricted radiation to
the southeast--it protects WBET (and also just about
eliminates Framingham and Natick from the coverage
area). It is unclear to me that there was a need to
correct the overlap with WBET; the condition had existed
for so long that I assmed that it was grandfathered.

That said, the proposed pattern seems to require the
construction of one more tower at the Hudson site than I
believe to be necessary. I think a two-tower day pattern
would work (using two of the three towers in the night
array). Such a pattern would spread the signal southwest
toward Worcester and northeast toward Lowell, rather
than concentrating it toward Fitchburg, Leominster,
Clinton, and Lunenburg--towns that so far, have shown
themselves incapable of supporting more than one secular
AM (and that one, just barely).

WSRO's proposed day pattern has a null to the south that
seems to protect nothing. At first I thought WSAR, but a
check of the map shows that the null is aimed quite a
bit west of Fall River. I don't think WMRC would be a
problem if that null weren't there.

Seems to me that if Mega were to buy or lease WSRO
(assuming WSRO's day pattern isn't modified), Mega would
wind up with two signals that attempt to serve Worcester
(WARE and WSRO), but which both fail to do so. Two
rimshots that target but miss the desired market do not
equal one signal that covers the market right from
downtown. Of course, Mega has already spent $500k on
WARE. If they were to acquire WNEB as well, WARE would
be redundant (it doesn't serve Springfield either). A
better plan might be to buy WNEB and take it dark so
that they could move WARE to Worcester. That assumes, of
course, that land near Worcester could be found for a
directional array.