Re: WMEX reception reports

>Dan Strassberg wrote:
>Don't forget: They have a _bunch_ of different modes (five, I think):
>Non-critical hours: 40 KW-DA, Critical hours: 22 kW slightly different DA
>(should be noticeable "behind" the pattern), LSS Framingham to LS
>Philadelphia (15 whole minutes, most months): Significantly lower power;
>unsure of facilities, Pre-sunrise (6:00 AM to LSR Framingham): Very low
>power, not sure of facilities, LSS Philadelphia to two hours past LSS
>Framingham: Very low power; not sure of facilities.

        As Dan pointed out in another post, right now it's possible WMEX is
not running at full power, so its permanent signal might be better than
what's on right now.

        On the South Shore, it was pretty good during daylight hours. Other
posts have pointed out that WBZ was running some level of low power today,
and I can confirm that based on my listening. IMO, it may have been reduced
power from Hull rather than 10 kW from Allston. But, the point here is that
I could only compare the WMEX signal to the other major players on my basic
test of loudness on the car radio. Signal processing also comes into play
here. For example, WRKO really has the output pumped up and that was
noticeable.
        WMEX was louder than the 5 kW Boston stations farther up the dial,
except WILD, but not as loud as 590/690/850/950. It also was not as strong
as WNRB. It was solid around Scituate and definitely had a lower
susceptibility to electrical interference than the lesser 5 kW signals.
Considering its transmitter location is a long way inland from the South
Shore area, it was pretty decent. But, WRKO is at least as far away, and
it, of course, pounds in very large on the South Shore
        In the afternoon, I drove south to Middleborough and then north on
495 to the Pike. By Middleborough, the WMEX signal was close to or at the
point where normal listeners would not use it. WBZ (which I heard switch
back to what seemed to be full power somewhere around 3 p.m.), WEZE, WRKO
and WEEI all were still good down there. As I drove north on 495, of
course, WMEX got better. However, in Bellingham, I apparently drove through
a very sharp null in what should have been by then the CH pattern (this was
around 4 p.m. or later). For a mile or two the signal was distorted, weak,
and fluctuating, and wouldn't be used by normal people. By the time they
switched to the PSSA low power operation I was quite close to the
transmitter, out at the 495-Pike junction area. Even there the signal was
very rough. I'm afraid that Mr. Bell may need to hire actors to portray
callers to his show during the winter months <g>.