Re: Bob Bittner's Unlikely Ally In The Fight Against The"Cash Machine"

In a message dated 01/20/2000 3:16:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
norwood@mln.lib.ma.us writes:

<< don't know if this device can work on local music/DJ shows as it does
 for talk radio, >>

the digital compression features do not play well with most spoken voices,
and especially are not kind to music.  most production professionals learn
how to pace their delivery of a spoken commercial in order to properly
interact with a time-squeeze program, the add the music bed after the fact
(since most production music packages come with timed beds of 59.5 or 29.5).
if the time-compression is added at will, without any consideration to the
sound of the post-squeezing product, it will sound not only sped up (as
Dr.Laura bemoans), but also it will sound like the voice is eminating from
underwater.  if you listen carefully to a cold-voice spot, you can tell
whether or not the time-compression features were used.  you'll actually hear
the "wobble".
  and if you eliminate the dead-spaces in songs, would it be a violation of
the rights of the author of the music.  if they wanted a rest/pause at that
point, and wrote the music and had it performed as such, would that be a
potential for concern?  i know that as one who was "ordered" to shorten songs
of length back in the early 80's when Adult Contemporary stations were
performing their own time-squeeze programs, i had philosophical concerns
about altering the artist's product. (a/c formula number 7:  nothing over
3:45.  if it's over, make it fit.  examples:  "My Way", from 4:34 to 3:15,
ended cold. /  "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues" from 4:40 to 3:18,
remixed and ended cold.  )  i still hate myself for the My Way edit, but not
one, repeat, NOT ONE listener ever picked up on it, and not one announcer who
put the cart in the machine picked up on where the edit was.

- -Chuck (I have my edit-all block still in my shoulder bag right now) Igo