Re: Altering live TV pictures

I was on the board overnight on WBUR when the BBC ran that segment and
since I used to work for CBS it caught my attention.

(turn on the paranoia switch now),

This is the kind of thing that is all too real, and all too tempting for
major corporations to do and get away with.

One issue brought up by the BBC report was that there was major concern
about a terrorist attack in Times Square on New Years Eve.  If it had
occurred CBS would be altering the image of a major news story.

I might also add that the BBC noted no one caught it until it was
reported in a newspaper, the correspondent speculated that it was because
not too many people were watching their coverage since according to the
BBC, CBS finished last in the ratings for coverage of New Years Eve.

When just a few small groups own everything it will become very very easy
to manipulate and mislead.  Once money is not enough, they will go after
power.

(paranoia switch is off....i now return you to normal thinking)

Dave

On Sat, 15 Jan 2000 00:59:47 -0500 "A. Joseph Ross"
<lawyer@world.std.com> writes:

>I've just been listening to a feature on the BBC World Service about
>CBS's
>coverage of New Years in Times Square.  It seems that, somewhere in
>the
>scene, there was a rather prominent NBC logo.  CBS altered the live
>picture by superimposing its own logo over the NBC logo.  This is
>being
>criticized as altering the scene of a news story.

> A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
> 15 Court Square                             lawyer@world.std.com
> Boston, MA 02108-2503              http://world.std.com/~lawyer/

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.