Crawford and Carter? (Was: Re: WPTR)

I'm not sending this through my usual E-Mail server. To respond, reply
to: <notquite@hotmail.com>. Thanks!

There might be a "wild card" with Crawford having flipped several
stations from religious to standards.

Some months ago, Ken Carberry (a/k/a Carter Broadcasting) had a
tentative deal to see his New England radio stations (except Worcester's
WCRN) to Catholic Family Radio. The deal fell through.

Are the Carter stations still for sale?

If so, maybe Crawford might come in, buy them, and flip them to a
regional, New England-wide "network" of pop standards statios,
programmed from Boston. Maybe the Saturday-afternoon Irish program,
Harvard football, and Boston University hockey might remain, but the
religious programming would get scrapped.

Were Crawford to enter Boston with a "Legends" format--either through a
purchase of the Carter stations or by buying another station--it could,
if the signal covers the Boston market reasonably well, spell trouble
for WPLM-FM because WPLM is difficult to receive north of Boston.

Joseph Gallant
Reply to: <notquite@hotmail.com>